Beef Bourguignon is no ordinary beef stew. This iconic French dish is full of flavour, full of delicious aromas and full of history. It’s also fit for any occasion, from a hearty winter meal for the family to a delectable dish to impress the in-laws.
As the name suggests, Beef Bourguignon hails from the Burgundy region of France, where it was first developed as peasant food. The premise behind this classic dish is simple: slow-cooked beef marinated in a full-bodied burgundy red, with onions, potatoes and an assortment of aromatic herbs.
Over time, the humble Beef Bourguignon has been transformed into the epitome of fine dining, gracing the menus of restaurants all over the world. But you don’t have to eat out to treat your taste buds to this mouthwatering beef stew; it’s easy to make yourself at home.
Our spicy Beef Bourguignon recipe puts a twist on this classic French dish, adding a little bit of zing to awaken your senses. It’s a joy to make and a thrill to eat, so get cooking!
– 1/1.5kg of beef (beef chuck, outside flat, inner shank (heel), ribs, collar)
– 5 carrots
– 60 cl of red wine
– 250g of white mushrooms
– 200g of British style shortcut bacon
– Zest of one orange
– 2/3 tablespoons of olive oil
– 3 bay leaves, 4 cardamom pods, 3 whole cloves, and 2 whole star cloves, 1 small teaspoon of curry, salt & pepper
Cooking utensils: A slow cooker.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
1. Dice the two onions.
2. Heat one or two tablespoon(s) of olive oil in a slow cooker.
3. Cook the onions until soft, then place them in a small recipient. While onions are being cooked, chop the meat into large pieces (approx. 60-80g thick).
4. Fry the meat in the slow cooker until it stops giving up water and becomes lightly brown. During this time peel and dice the carrots into approx. 1cm thick pieces.
5. Pour the onions back in the slow cooker, and add the carrots. Add one teaspoon of curry, one teaspoon of coriander, a touche of salt & pepper. Pour 60cl of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot). Add the zest of 1 orange, 3 bay leaves, 4 cardamom pods, 3 whole cloves, and 2 whole star cloves.
6. Bring it to boil then place the lid on the slow cooker and let it simmer on low heat for 1 hour minimum (1 hour & 30 minutes is better). Stir approximately every 30 minutes.
7. Dice the bacon into 2 cm long strips and add to the slow cooker together with the sliced white mushrooms. Cook for 30 more minutes.
8. It’s done! Serve with fresh pasta (tagliatelle) or boiled potatoes. Add thickened sour cream to the meal at your convenience. Also, do not hesitate to prepare this meal a day in advance; it is even better reheated.